I’ve officially been working for Deseret Book for 2 weeks now! Feels like much longer than that!
I work in the Distribution in the store. We sell temple ceremonial clothing, garments, temple dresses, shoes, pants, suit jackets, baby blessing outfits, socks, and Church materials! Some people don’t even know that our location has a distribution inside. But there is, so come see me! :)
I went in knowing 0% about temple clothing and garments but I’m starting to feel like I’ve finally got some knowledge going on in my brain. I’ve spent a lot of my time there restocking shelves. It’s incredible to see how fast we (well, customers) go through garments! There’s a lot of work that goes into making, selling, keeping up with the visual presentation of the store… so much work!
I’m also learning how to suggest different fabrics, different lengths, different style necklines, and so forth. I’m trying my best to remember before the holiday season picks up so that I don’t have to rely so much on my supervisors. I’ll get there one day! I love it though. Here’s why:
1. I get to listen to Mormon Tabernacle Choir, ALL DAY LONG!
2. I looooooooove going to the temple, and I work with temple clothing so, I already love it!
3. I get to learn more about the temple garment, and the clothing worn inside.
4. I’m learning just how sacred and important these items are that we deal with every day.
5. I occasionally get to help someone find something in the book store, so, yay!
6. The reverence maintained in the distribution is basically feeling the Spirit all day, every day.
7. I also get to sell Church magazines which, hello! #ldsconf is coming up!
8. I also learned that there are specific garments/clothing for those who are on hospice or just really sick. — I’m only pointing this out because I had no idea that such a thing even existed! I don’t think my dad had any of this type of clothing but, I never knew!
9. I get to work at Deseret Book.
10. I get to work in a very spiritual atmosphere.
11. I get to help others find their special, sacred and wonderful garments and temple clothing.
12. Did I mention that I love all things temple?
13. I forget that I work in Draper so when individuals come in for temple clothing, because they have been called as an ordinance worker, I always ask which temple. Some people look at my cross-eyed! Haha, sorry y’all. I come from Jordan River, Salt Lake or Oquirrh Mountain!
14. I loooooove my supervisor. She’s such a great friend already!
15. We have prayer after every meeting.
16. I just really really really love my job.
It sounds so cheesy, and stupid, and inauthentic but I literally cannot describe in words how much I love Deseret Book. I’m pretty sure I have wanted to work here since I was in high school. If I spend my money anywhere the most, it’s at Deseret Book. I get lost in Deseret Book MORE than I ever would or have in Barnes n’ Noble. I love my Church. I love being a member. I love being surrounded by uplifting, happy and important things. I love getting lost in there for hours, just browsing all the different products they sell. I just cannot get enough of it. I’m super super blessed to have this job. The timing was PERFECT and I cannot thank my Heavenly Father enough.
I haven’t worked retail in like 5.5 years, so it’s been a minute since I’ve had to work through the holidays but apparently it’s crazy but so much fun!! I’m so excited… bring on the celebration!!
|9/19/2017 — © Ashley Ziegler|